Is Pet Rehabilitation Helpful or Necessary?
Pet rehabilitation may be done by anybody who has the time to do it and who is able to follow directions. That person, and their pet, should see benefits from a good program within the first week, if not the first day or two, if they are doing the right work for the problem(s) the rehab protocol is meant to assist!
A proper rehabilitation program should increase function where at all possible, and it subsequently could improve quality of life in several ways.
Pet rehabilitation programs are helpful for any animals that…
- have either had surgery or have not
- need improved muscle tone, connective tissue strength, and overall health before going into surgery
- are old or young and could benefit from quality-of-life improvements because they have some sort of function issues
- need advanced conditioning for a new or changed living environment
- are competitive and need sport training for improved conditioning and injury prevention
- are overweight or obese and need a properly-designed exercise plan
See this post on Goals of Therapeutic Exercise for more info.
Updated November 11, 2023